Hunting regulation for Sapientza season 2023-2024 translated by Google translate
ACQUISITION OF HUNTING RIGHTS
To hunt in the Sapienza Island Controlled Hunting Area one must:
- The possession of a common hunting license, i.e.:
General, Regional, Local that is also valid for the Prefecture
- Obtaining the special permit for hunting in the Controlled Hunting Area.
To obtain the special license for hunting in E.K.P. the interested hunter, in person or his legal representative, must submit to the Forestry Office of Kalamata:
- Application with his details (surname, first name, father's name, profession, residential address, Police ID Number,
Tax Registration Number , Hunting License Number and type thereof) and the date he wishes to hunt and the rest team members.
- Photocopy of the Thira Permit (second, third page and current visa). Foreign hunters also present their country's hunting license in translation .
- The amount of money
- Receipt - Document of payment of the rent for the transfer to and from Sapienza Island with the contracted boat.
The hunt begins on Monday, October 30, 2023 and ends on Wednesday, December 6, 2023.
Hunting days for the period from 30-10-2023 to 30-11-2023 are set every: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Hunting days for the period from 4.12.2023 to 5.12.2023 are set on Monday and Tuesday.
The hunt may begin one (1) hour after sunrise and end at 2:00 PM.
PRICES OF SPECIAL LICENSES
- The price of the Special License is determined as follows:
- For Messinian hunters €35.00.
- For other Greek hunters, citizens of countries - members of the European Union and citizens of foreign countries (outside the EU) residing in Greece for more than 15 years,
- For the citizens of foreign countries outside the EU. €100.00.
- The prices of special permits are subject to VAT. 24%.
- The special permit is valid for one hunting day
- Hunters who are nationals of foreign countries (outside the EU) must, in addition to the special permit, be provided with a general hunting permit issued by the Forestry Department of Kalamata by paying the corresponding fees as defined by the annual decision on the regulation of hunting matters of the Ministry of Environment and Energy, which are structured as follows:
- Up to 15 days: €60.00and b) Up to two (2) months:
€120.00.In addition, it is required to present an insurance policy that covers the hunter in the event of a hunting accident in our country.
ORGANIZATION OF THE HUNTING
- The hunting during the period from 10-30-2023 to 11-30-2023 will only be conducted in groups with the presence of an authorized body.
- Up to twelve (12) hunters divided into three (3) groups (4 hunters per group) can hunt each hunting day during the above time period .
- On Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 December, up to four
(4) individual hunters may hunt each day in whose name a Special Permit has not been issued again to hunt during the period from 30-10-2023 to 30- 11-2023.
4. The transport of hunters from Methoni to N. Sapienza is done only by the boat contracted by the Forestry Department.
The cost for a complete itinerary (transition from Methoni to Sapienza Island and return to Methoni ) during the period from 30-10-2023 to 30-11-2023 per hunting day, is set at eight hundred euros (€800.00 ) including Taxes. which shall be divided equally among the hunters who hunt on that day.
The cost for a full itinerary (transition from Methoni to Sapienza Island and return to Methoni) during the period from 4-12-2023 to 5-12-2023 per hunting day, is set at four hundred and fifty- four euros and twenty-six minutes ( €454.26)including VAT which shall be divided equally among the hunters who hunt on that day.
PROCEDURE FOR ISSUING SPECIAL PERMITS
1. Special hunting permits are issued by the Kalamata Forestry Department (in the E.K.P. special hunting permits are not issued).
2. Those interested in hunting must submit to the Forestry Department of Kalamata the documents required for the issuance of a special permit, which are mentioned in paragraphs 1 and 2 of article 2 of this Hunting Program.
Applications are accepted from the publication of this Program in the Government Gazette
until Tuesday 21 November for those who wish to hunt in groups until 30-11-2023 and until Tuesday 28 November for those who wish to hunt individually on 4 and
5-12-2023 on working days and from 08 :30 - 13:00. Applications concerning groups smaller than four (4) hunters for those who wish to hunt until 11-30-2023 are not accepted and are rejected without further procedures. Applications of those who wish to hunt in groups until
30-11-2023 are submitted and pre-protocoled per group. Applications of those wishing to hunt on December 4 and 5 are recorded individually. The protocol number determines the priority order. The applications that have been submitted are classified by hunting day and the hunters or their legal representatives are notified by e- mail that they pay the required amount of money for the issuance of the Special Permit within a set deadline and provide a photocopy of the Proof of Payment of the cost to transport them to and from Sapienza Island on the contracted boat for all hunting days. The non-payment of the amount of money for the issuance of the Special Permit and the non-presentation of the Receipt -
Document of the payment of the rent for the transport to and from Sapienza Island, even by a hunter of the group, excludes entry to the E.K.P. of the whole group. The payment of the amount of money for the issue of the Special Permit is made exclusively by deposit/transfer to the bank account of the service from the personal bank account of the hunter or his legal representative.
No changes are made to hunters who
make up the groups.
3. Applicant hunters in person or their legally represented representatives, must receive the special hunting license in time.
4. In the event that a hunter does not show up for hunting on the day set for him, he is not entitled to use that day's license for another hunting day and the fee he has paid is not refunded.
5. In the event that the hunt is not held due to bad weather or any other reason during the time period from 30-10-2023 to 30-11-2023, a hunt may be held by those who wish and showed up for the hunt on the day that was set for them, on Friday -current week's patch.
In the event that the hunt is not held due to bad weather or another reason on Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th December, a hunt may be held by those who wish and showed up for hunting on the day that was set for them, Wednesday 6th December.
For those hunters who do not wish to hunt and had shown up for hunting on the day that was set for them, the sums of money they have paid for the issuance of
the Special Permit are returned by depositing/transferring them from the bank account
cancellation of the service to the accounts from which they were deposited/transferred, bearing the costs of bank transactions. These hunters or their legal representatives must submit to the Kalamata Forestry Office by Thursday, December 7, the Shipment Form - Invoice issued for this Special Hunting Permit. For those Special Hunting Permits for which the respective Shipping Notes - Invoices were not submitted, the sums of money are deposited by the Kalamata Forestry Department in the Green Fund. The service bears no responsibility for the return of the rent paid for the transfer to and from Sapienza Island with the contracted boat.
HUNTING EQUIPMENT - DOGS
1. Hunting is carried out only with a hunting shoulder weapon that has a smooth barrel and is a single- or double- barreled or repeating carbine that carries up to three (3) cartridges in total, of which one (1) is in the chamber and two
(2) at the warehouse.
2. For hunting will be used exclusively and
single shot cartridges only.
3. Dogs are prohibited for hunting. The use of radios, binoculars, etc. is also prohibited. as hunting aids. Mobile phones are prohibited from being used as hunting aids.
CONDUCT OF THE HUNTING
1. The hunt is conducted at the absolute discretion of the authorized body of the E.K.P. when there are favorable weather conditions and good visibility.
2. The hunting license and the special license are delivered to the authorized bodies of the E.K.P. before the start of the hunt and are returned after it.
3. The positions to be hunted by the groups of hunters are determined before the start of the hunt and before boarding the boat. In the event that several groups are interested in hunting in the same location, a lottery will be held.
4. Groups of hunters are always accompanied by the authorized bodies of the Controlled Hunting Area, whose instructions they must obey. Hunters must take all necessary measures to prevent any kind of accidents and safe use and transport of their hunting weapons. The Service bears no responsibility for any accidental injury or accident both during the hunt and during the transition from Methoni to N. Sapienza and back to Methoni. During the hunt, the hunters are required to wear fluorescent orange clothing on their torso (with a single stripe excluded), visible from all visual angles to avoid accidents.
5. It is forbidden to remove hunters from their group. It is also prohibited to remove them from the area designated to hunt
are from the mandated bodies of the Controlled Hunting Area. Careless hunters, dangerous for the safety of E.K.P.'s colleagues or employees. and in general hunters who do not obey the instructions of the bodies of the E.K.P., may be removed from the E.K.P. and are deprived of the hunt without other wording or compensation for the current hunting season.
6. The organs of the E.K.P. they can collapse groups of hunters or individual hunters into groups.
7. It is not allowed to enter the E.K.P. a hunter
who does not carry a weapon even if he holds a Special Permit.
8. It is forbidden to hunt from the boat and in the fishing boats.
9. The hunter who injures, at the absolute discretion of the authorized body monitoring the hunt, the game and does not collect it shall pay the value prescribed for the game and is deprived of the right to enter the E.K.P. for the current hunting season.
10. It is forbidden to hunt undeveloped hairy game and female goats. Grown hairy game means: the wild sheep of three (3) years and the goat of two (2) years. In case of injury or killing of a non-grown hairy game or a female goat, the culprit is charged with a fine of €400.00plus the value of the game as determined by column (6) of the table below. The value of the female goat is estimated at €1,000.00for all hunters.
VAT is added to the above prices. 24%.
11. In the event that game is killed, the hunting of which is prohibited according to this program , or an undeveloped hairy game or female goat is intentionally killed, this act is considered illegal hunting. In this case, the offenders are prosecuted
under the provisions on hunting and for violation of hunting regulations (par. 18 article 287 n.d. 86/1969 as applicable) and are deprived of hunting without any other wording or compensation for the current hunting season. Game and hunting tools are confiscated. Seized game is sold. The trophies from the seized game remain at the disposal of the
E.K.P. and the Service.
12. The hunt is interrupted in any case deemed necessary by the body authorized to conduct the hunt.
AMENDMENT - SUSPENSION OF THE HUNTING
By decision of the Director of Forests of Messinia following a recommendation from the Kalamata Forestry, it is possible to modify or suspend the Hunting Program.
ALLOWED GAMES FOR HUNTING - GAME PRICES HUNTING PREMIUM PERMITS HARVEST TAX FOR TROPHY - PRICE IN EUR
The allowed number of game and their prices are shown in the table below:
Hunting Season (2)
of game per hunter (3)
(Ovis aries musimon)
(Ovis aries musimon)
Goat - Ibex
(Capra aegagrus cretica)
In case of hunting: a) Wild sheep with a horn length of more than 45 centimeters (outer side) the
price of the game is charged for each centimeter over 45 with €10, b) Goat with a horn length of less than 55 centimeters (outer side side) the price of the game is charged with the amount of €500, c) A goat with a horn length greater than 55 cm (outer side) and less than 80 cm (outer side) the price of the game is charged with the amount of €300 and d) A goat with a horn length greater than 80 centimeters (external side) the price of the game is charged with the amount of €300 and for each centimeter over 80 with €10.
VAT is added to the above prices. 24%.
In the case of completing the total allowed number of game of a Hunting Period, the hunting of this type of game is stopped. If, during the hunting, the allowed number of game is exceeded, it is justified to exceed it during the time required to inform all
the hunters hunting on that day by the bodies of the E.K.P..
PAYMENT OF THE VALUE OF GAMES
1. After the end of the hunt, the authorized body of the
E.K.P. will issue to the hunter a Sales Invoice of the Service and the value of the game will be collected by deposit/transfer to the bank account of the service. The slip that will be given to the hunter is a legal title to the possession of the game listed on it, for transportation, etc. of these.
2. The price of the killed game when it is hunted by a group consisting of Messenian and other Greek hunters, or hunters nationals of European Union member states is determined by the price indicated in column (5) of the above table. If the group has foreign hunters from other foreign countries outside the E.U. then the value is determined by column (6) of the table.
DEPARTURE - RETURN
The departure of the hunters and the authorized bodies of the E.K.P. N. Sapienza from the port of Methoni will take place at 7:45 - 8:00 and the return from Sapienza at 14:30 -
If for any reason or cause the departure does not take place until 08:30 the hunt is postponed.
VISITORS TO THE E.K.P.
1. It is forbidden to enter and stay in the E.K.P.
of anyone without permission from the Forestry Authority.
2. The E.K.P. Sapienza Island can be visited for scientific reasons, to learn and get to know its flora and fauna and its ecosystem in general, by those who wish (Associations, Unions, etc.) after permission from the Kalamata Forestry Department, except of hunting days. The way, the time, the behavior and the other obligations within the E.K.P. will be determined with the relevant license.
3. Visitors to E.K.P. they must take care of their safety and accident prevention, which is their care and responsibility. The Service does not bear any responsibility for any accident that may occur during their stay at the E.K.P.. They must also protect the game and not disturb their peace.
1. It is not allowed to photograph or film the game and hunting activities during the hunt as defined by this program.
Photographing and filming game outside of the above period is only permitted with the permission of the competent Ministry.
In the event of photographing or filming of game and hunting activities , or in the event of the existence of audio-visual material of illegal photography and filming of game and hunting activities, the culprit shall be prosecuted for violation
of this regulatory -prohibitive provision and deprived of the right to hunt.
2. Hunters must collect and remove from the
E.K.P. the cartridges they used.
3. During the period of validity of the present, the applicable protection measures from the
4. For all matters not regulated by this program , which has the status of a hunting regulatory provision, the general hunting provisions apply.
5. Every other detail regarding the operation of E.K.P. which is not registered in this program is determined by the supervisor of the E.K.P. within the framework of the 453/1977.
6. Violators of the provisions on hunting and the present regulatory-prohibitive provision shall be criminally prosecuted.
7. Possession of a special hunting license and guest entry to the
E.K.P. mean the unreserved acceptance and application of what is mentioned above.
This decision to be published in the Government Gazette.
Kalamata, October 4, 2023
By order of the Secretary General of Forests The Director of Forests of Messinia
If a shot draws blood, it will terminate the hunt and start the search for the wounded animal. If the animal is injured and not found while the hunter is present, the animal will be considered dead. The search for the trophy will continue and, if found, it will be sent to the hunter. The hunt finishes once the animal is shot. If trophy is taken or wounded, or two reasonable chances have been missed or passed over the hunt is over. In case of 4 days bad weather and/or no chances to shoot during the 4 days hunt on animal the refund is according the current year government trophy fee (harvest tax) for the requested trophy size or up to gold medal SCI scoring.
Translator: Google Translate
The only legal hunting weapon in Greece is open sight /no optics/ smoothbore barrel shotgun /without rifling/ with slugs. And bow. Hunting is a popular pastime in Greece, mainly on the mainland and mountainous areas. Wild boar and woodcock are commonly hunted animals. Both a shotgun permit and hunting licence are required to hunt in Greece. A shotgun can be bought without a licence, but it must then be registered with the police. A shotgun permit must then be applied for within one month at the local Police station. Applicants must be at least 18 years old. The penalty for being in possession of an unregistered rifle or shotgun without a permit may be up to four months in prison. Only single or double barrelled smooth shotguns, with a rifle length over 1m and holding no more than three bullets are permitted.
The main differences between rifles, shotguns, and handguns are their barrels and the type of ammunition used.
- The rifle barrel is long and has thick walls with spiraling grooves cut into the bore. The grooved pattern is called rifling.
- The shotgun barrel is long and made of fairly thin steel that is very smooth on the inside to allow the shot and wad to glide down the barrel without friction. It’s thinner than a rifle barrel since it does not have to withstand as much pressure.
- The handgun barrel is much shorter than a rifle or shotgun barrel because the gun is designed to be shot while being held with one or two hands, rather than being placed against the shooter’s shoulder. The bores of most handgun barrels also have a grooved pattern similar to rifles.