Information provided on these pages is a service to hunters. All documents are translated from Greek by a certified interpreter.This information on hunting in Greece, including the hunting licences and shotgun permits..
Quote from the official program for hunting in Greece for the period 2017-2018
OF THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC
ACQUIRING THE RIGHT TO HUNTING
In order to be able to hunt in the Controlled hunting region of Sapientza Island, you should:
1. Be holder of general hunting ticket, or: General, District, Local that is valid for the district of Messinia.
2. Acquire special permit for hunting in Controlled hunting region.
DOCUMENTS THAT ARE NECESSARY FOR ISSUING SPECIAL PERMIT
In order to have the special permit issued for hunting in Controlled hunting region, the stakeholder personally or via his/her representative should present in the Forestry reserve Kalamata:
1. Request that contains his/her data (surname, given name, father’s name, profession, home address, identity card number, tax number, number and type of the hunting ticket) and the date on which he/she would like to hunt and the other members of the hunt group.
2. Copy of the hunting permit (second, third pages and up-to-date verification). The foreign hunters should additionally provide translation of the hunting permit in their country.
3. The necessary money amount.
HUNTING TIME The hunt starts on Wednesday, the 1st of November 2017 and ends on Monday, the 20th of November 2017.
The hunting days are: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
The hunt could start one (1) hour after sunrise and ends at 14:00 in the afternoon.
PRICES OF THE SPECIAL PERMITS
1. The price of the special permit is defined as follows: a) for the hunters in the district of Messinia it is 25,00 EUR.
b) for the other Greek hunters and citizens of the European Union member-states and citizens of foreign countries (outside the EU) that have been residing in Greece for over 15 years 40,00 EUR.
c) for the foreign citizens of non-EU countries 80,00 EUR.
2. The prices of the special permits are taxable with VAT of 24%.
3. The special permit is in effect only on the precise hunting day.
4. The hunters from foreign countries (outside EU) in addition to the fees for having the special permit issued should get general hunting ticket that is issued by the Forestry reserve of Kalamata, after paying the particular fees defined in the annual resolution on regulating the hunting issues to the Ministry of environment and energy, which are defined in the following manner:
a) up to 15 days: 60 EUR and b) up to two (2) months: 120 EUR. Additionally you should present contract for insurance that covers the hunter in the case of hunting accident which has happened in our country.
1. Hunting takes place in groups with the presence of authorized officials.
2. On every hunting day not more than twelve (12) hunters could hunt into three (3) groups (from 2 to 4 hunters in a group).
3. Carrying the hunters from Methoni in the district of Sapientza is performed only by vessel provided by the Forestry reserve. The minimum rent is defined to the amount of three hundred (300,00 EUR) including VAT (24%) that is to be evenly shared by every hunter in the case carriage is performed with less than 6 (six) hunters. In the case the hunters are more than six (6), the rent is defined as the amount of fifty (50,00 EUR) including VAT (24%) per hunter.
PROCEDURE FOR ISSUING SPECIAL PERMITS
1. The special hunting permits are issued by the Forestry reserve of Kalamata (within the Controlled hunting region no hunting permits are being issued).
2. The requests would be accepted from the date following the one on which this Programme was approved until Thursday, the 19th of October, at 14:00 p.m.
On Friday, the 20th of October at 09:00 a.m. the requests of the hunt groups would be classified according to the days on which the hunters would like to hunt. The hunt group that has stated they would like to hunt in the Controlled hunting region for three (3) consecutive days precede the others. If there are several requests or free spaces, we would perform relocation of groups in view of the sequence of filing the requests and the hunting days announced for hunting, in the offices of the Forestry reserve of Kalamata by the Inspector of the Controlled hunting region or by the assistant-inspector in the presence of the Forestry inspector of Kalamata or his deputy and the stakeholder hunters or their legal representatives.
On the first business day after defining the groups, the necessary amount would be paid for having special permit issued for every hunting day by the defined groups. In the case of not paying this amount, even if by one hunter of the group, the group would not have the right to enter the Controlled hunting region.
After the abovementioned procedure and in the case there are free places, the requests could be accepted until:
a) Thursday, the 26th of October for the hunting days from 01.11.2017 to 03.11.2017.
b) Thursday, the 2nd of November for the hunting days from 08.11.2017 to 10.11.2017.
c) Thursday, the 9th of November for the hunting days from 15.11.2017 to 17.11.2017.
Every Friday at 09:00 a.m. the requests of the hunt groups would be classified according to the days on which the hunters would like to hunt. The hunt group that has stated they would like to hunt in the Controlled hunting region for three (3) consecutive days precede the others. If there are several requests or free spaces, we would perform relocation of groups in view of the sequence of filing the requests and the hunting days announced for hunting, in the offices of the Forestry reserve of Kalamata by the Inspector of the Controlled hunting region or by the assistant-inspector in the presence of the Forestry inspector of Kalamata or his deputy and the stakeholder hunters or their legal representatives. In the case of free places, group of hunters, the group of hunters would be provided with the opportunity that would like to hunt, if they didn’t follow the abovementioned procedure and expressed their interest in that on the day preceding the one on which they would like to hunt.
No changes are performed of the hunters who take place in the groups after defining them.
3. The hunter-applicants personally or via their legal representatives should receive in timely manner special hunting ticket.
4. If some hunter does not appear for hunting on the particular day, he would not have the right to use the permit from this day for another hunting day and the fees he paid are not reimbursable.
5. In the case the hunter does not appear for hunting in two consecutive days, he or she would be deprived from the hunting rights for the remaining hunting season. The fees paid for the hunting days during which the person is deprived of hunting rights are not reimbursable.
6. In the case the hunt does not take place because of bad weather or other reasons, it could be held by those who would like to hunt and received special permit for hunting on Monday of the next week.
Those that would not like to hunt would have their money reimbursed and the transfer costs would be withheld.
HUNTING MEANS - DOGS
1. Hunt would be practiced with hunting weapon with smoothbore and single-barrelled or double-barrelled guns, with up to three (3) bullets in total, of which one (1) in the bore and two (2) in the filler.
2. Only hunting bullets would be used for hunting.
3. Dogs are forbidden during hunting.
4. Using mobile phones as camera for shooting the hunting activities is prohibited.
RUNNING THE HUNT
1. Hunt is being held upon the exclusive discretion of the supervisory body of the Controlled hunting region when the weather conditions are suitable and visibility is good.
2. The hunting permit and the special permit are provided to the competent officials of the Controlled hunting region before the hunting start and is returned after its finalization.
3. The locations where the hunting groups would hunt are to be defined before the hunting start and before boarding the vessel. In the case that several groups are interested in hunting at one and the same place, lot would be drawn.
4. The hunters are always being accompanied by the authorized bodies of the Controlled hunting region whose guidelines are to be respected. The hunters should undertake all necessary measures in order to overcome all kinds of accidents and safe use and transfer of their hunting weapons. The Service is not liable for the possible injuries or accident that happened during hunting. While hunting hunters should carry on their body clothing in fluorescent orange colour (single stripe is excluded) visible from every visual aspect, in order to avoid accidents.
5. The hunters are not allowed to move away of the group and in general from the region designated for hunting by the authorized bodies of the Controlled hunting region. Negligent hunters that are dangerous to their colleagues or employees of the Controlled hunting region, and in general hunters that disobey the guidelines issued by the bodies of the Controlled hunting region, would be eliminated off the Controlled hunting region and would be deprived from hunting without any additional formalities or indemnity for the current hunting season.
6. The Bodies of the Controller hunting region could make up groups of hunters.
7. A hunter would not be allowed to enter the Controlled hunting region if he or she does not carry weapons, even if holding a special permit issued.
8. Hunting from a boat or nearby feeding racks is not allowed.
9. A hunter who wounds an animal, upon the absolute discretion of the supervisory body monitoring the hunt and does not catch it, would pay the value intended for the game and would be deprived from the right of entering the Controlled hunting region for the current hunting season.
10. You are not allowed to hunt underdeveloped hairy game. Developed hairy game is: wild sheep aged three (3) and wild goat aged two (2). In the case of wounding or killing underdeveloped hairy game, the violator would pay fine at the amount of 400,00 EUR plus the prey value.
11. In the case you have killed game whose hunting is forbidden under this hunting programme, this act is believed to be unlawful hunting. In this case penal prosecution would be initiated against the violators according to the hunting regulations and for violations of the bylaw provisions on hunting (article 287, paragraph 18 of the Legislative decree 86/1969) and would be deprived from the right to hunt without additional formalities or compensation for the current hunting season The game and the hunting means would be confiscated. The confiscated game would be thrown away. The trophies of the confiscated male animals remain at the disposal of the Controlled hunting region and the Service.
12. The hunt would be terminated in every case where deemed necessary by the body who monitors the hunt.
MODIFICATION – HUNT TERMINATION
Upon the resolution of the Forestry director of Messinia, after an explanation provided by the Chief of the Forestry reserve of Kalamata, it would be possible to modify or terminate the Hunting programme.
GAME WHOSE HUNTING IS ALLOWED – GAME NUMBER
The allowed number of animals are defined in the next table:
|Game type (1)||Total number Hunting period (2)||Allowed number of game per group (3)|
|Wild sheep (Ovis amon musimon)||Female: 20||2 per hunting season|
|Wild sheep (Ovis amon musimon)||Male: 20||2 per hunting season|
|Wild goat (Capra aegagruscretica)||Male: 20||2 per hunting season|
If hunters’ group is aggregate, the game number they could hunt daily would be increased considering the number of the united groups.
In the case of filling in the total admissible prey number, the hunt for this type of game would be terminated.
DEPARTURE - RETURN
The departure of the hunters and supervisory bodies of the Controlled hunting region in the district of Sapientza from the harbour of Methoni would be performed at 7:45 − 8:00 a.m., and the return from Sapientza would be at 14:30 − 15:00 p.m.
If because of whatever reason the departure does not take place until 08:30 a.m., the hunt would be postponed.
VISITS PAID IN THE CONTROLLED HUNTING REGION
1. You are not allowed to enter and stay in the Controlled hunting region without permission issued by the Forestry reserve.
2. The Controlled hunting region of Sapientza Island could be visited for scientific and entertainment objectives, for studying and researching its flora and fauna and in general its ecosystem, and the ones willing to do so (associations, unions etc.) could proceed after having the permit issued by the Forestry reserve of Kalamata on days when no hunting takes place. The manner, time, behaviour and other obligations in the Controlled hunting region would be defined in special permit.
3. The visitors in the Controlled hunting region should take care of their security and avoid accidents, bearing the full responsibility for this. The Service is not liable for possible accidents that could happen during the stay in the controlled hunting region. Additionally, game should be preserved and its comfort should not be violated.
1. On the issues not regulated in this programme that has the effect of regulatory hunting provision, the general hunting provisions would be in effect.
2. Taking pictures, making videos of game and hunting activities is prohibited during hunting according to the provisions of the present programme.
3. Shooting and writing down the game during hunting would be allowed only after having permit issued by the competent Ministry.
4. The violators of the hunting provisions under this clause would be punished.
5. Holding special hunting permit and visitor entering in the controlled hunting region mean unconditional acceptance and enforcement of the abovementioned.
This permit would be published in State Gazette.
Kalamata, the 21st of September 2017
Upon the order of the Coordinator
Forestry Director of Messinia
I, Addison Abigail sertify the authenticity of the translation performed by me from Greek to English language of the attached document.
The only legal hunting weapon in Greece is open sight /no optics/ smoothbore barrel shotgun /without rifling/ with slugs. And bow. Hunting is a popular pastime in Greece, mainly on the mainland and mountainous areas. Wild boar and woodcock are commonly hunted animals. Both a shotgun permit and hunting licence are required to hunt in Greece. A shotgun can be bought without a licence, but it must then be registered with the police. A shotgun permit must then be applied for within one month at the local Police station. Applicants must be at least 18 years old. The penalty for being in possession of an unregistered rifle or shotgun without a permit may be up to four months in prison. Only single or double barrelled smooth shotguns, with a rifle length over 1m and holding no more than three bullets are permitted.
The main differences between rifles, shotguns, and handguns are their barrels and the type of ammunition used.
- The rifle barrel is long and has thick walls with spiraling grooves cut into the bore. The grooved pattern is called rifling.
- The shotgun barrel is long and made of fairly thin steel that is very smooth on the inside to allow the shot and wad to glide down the barrel without friction. It’s thinner than a rifle barrel since it does not have to withstand as much pressure.
- The handgun barrel is much shorter than a rifle or shotgun barrel because the gun is designed to be shot while being held with one or two hands, rather than being placed against the shooter’s shoulder. The bores of most handgun barrels also have a grooved pattern similar to rifles.